How to Use Street View on Your Mobile Device
As mentioned in our past article, Filipinos abroad who are unable to go home for the past several years and fail to witness how their neighborhoods were transformed over time have a new tool at their disposal: Google Street View.
While not every place in the Philippines is covered, imagery of many areas particularly in Luzon and Metro Manila are already visible through this tool.
But not every Filipino abroad is familiar, let alone have used Google Street View. We hope this article helps you get started with your phone or tablet device.
Google Street View is available via Google Maps app, which can be downloaded in your Android or iOS device.
To access Street View on your phone or tablet, simply long press somewhere on the map to drop a pin on a location you wish to view, search for a place using the search form. Another option is to select a pre-determined location and then tap the bar at the bottom of the screen. This location often comes with operating hours and street view image which you can tap.
To navigate through Street View:
- Open the Google Maps app .
- Search for a place.
- Touch the info sheet at the bottom of the screen and select Street View.
- To look around in Street View, drag your finger on the screen. To move around, touch the white arrows on the bottom of the screen, or double tap on the spot in the Street View image to quickly move to it.
- To see what’s around you, touch the look-around icon and move your phone or tablet left, right, up, and down.
- To see a wider view and change to landscape mode, turn your device sideways.
- To zoom in, touch an area with two fingers and spread them apart. To zoom out, touch an area with two fingers and pinch them together.
See Street View by Dropping Pin
It is noteworthy to know that this application requires a good amount of data to pull that information and display onto your screen. That is why if you are into a mobile network that has limited data plan, you might want to monitor your data usage more closely.
Heck, who cares much about use if a little more investment on your data plan means you’ll be reconnected to your hometown and look back at fond memories in the past?